Ellisville, Miss.- #23 William Carey University took the rubber game and the series ,as they defeated #6 Lindsey Wilson College, 10-6 on Sunday afternoon at Community Bank Park on the campus of Jones County Junior College.
Breaking down the Series
Game One – WCU 3 Lindsey Wilson 2
- In game one on Saturday, the Crusaders scored three runs in the fourth inning as they defeated the Blue Raiders, 3-2.
- Devin Smith (SO/Franklinton, La.) improved to 2-0 on the season allowing just two runs in 5 2/3 innings of work. Lane Fazende (SR/Picayune, Miss.) worked a scoreless seventh to earn his first save of the season.
- Trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the fourth inning, Tyler Graves (SR/Petal, Miss.) tied the game with a RBI single then Adrian Brown (SR/McComb, Miss.) put Carey up for good with a two run double to centerfield.
Game Two- Lindsey Wilson- 6 WCU – 4
- Lindsey Wilson jumped out to an early lead and WCU stranded 14 runners, as the Blue Raiders took game two of the Saturday doubleheader, 6-4.
- LWU got out of the gates quickly with three runs in the first inning and two runs in the second to open a 5-0 lead.
- Christian Smith (JR/Carriere, Miss.) put WCU on the board in the fourth with a RBI single but Lindsey Wilson answered with a run in the fifth inning to maintain the five-run lead.
- Carey cut the lead to two in the bottom of the sixth, scoring three runs off four hits.
- WCU had their chances in the final three innings but stranded six runners.
Game – Three- WCU – 10 Lindsey Wilson- 6
- In the rubber match, Carey hit early and often as they defeated the Blue Raiders, 10-6.
- WCU started quickly as Tyler Graves' RBI double in the bottom of the first inning and Adrian Brown's two-run home in the second inning put WCU up 4-0.
- The Blue Raiders cut the lead to 4-3 with three runs in the fourth, but Carey answered right back with two runs in the bottom of the frame to make it 6-3.
- With the game tied at six in the bottom of the seventh inning, Carey moved in front for good as Larson Barkurn (SR/Petal, Miss.) raced home on a wild pitch. WCU added three more runs in the eighth inning for the final margin.
- Lane Fazende picked up the win allowing just one hit and no runs in the four innings of work out of the bullpen.
- Adrian Brown and Christian Smith each had three hits for WCU.
WCU is back in action on Friday as they travel to Shreveport, Louisiana, to take on LSUS and Baker University (Kan.) in non-conference action.