Ellisville, Miss.- Tyler Odom (SR/Hattiesburg, Miss.)'s RBI sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 8th inning was the difference, as #23 William Carey defeated Shawnee State, 4-3 on Friday night at Community Bank Park on the campus of Jones County Junior College.
Breaking Down the Game
- Larson Barkurn (SR/Petal, Miss.) led a nine hit Carey attack by going 3 for 4 with 2 RBI's. Odom and Tyler Graves (SR/Petal, Miss.) each added two hits
- Lane Fazede worked the final 2 2/3 innings allowing no hits with three strikeouts to pick up the win.
- Starter Connor McWilliams struck out five while Dylan Spiers (JR/Carriere, Miss.) allowed three hits and a run in three innings of work.
How it Happened
- Shawnee State jumped out to a 2-0 lead with runs in the first and third innings.
- Odom's RBI double and Barkurn's RBI single in the bottom of the third inning tied the game at 2.
- Barkurn put WCU in front with a RBI double in the top of the fifth inning but Shawnee State tied the game with a RBI double by Brandon Reaman in the top of the seventh.
- In the bottom of the eighth, a walk, single, and a hit batter load the bases to set the stage for Odom's game winning RBI.
- Fazende retired the side in order in the top of the ninth to end the game
Carey is back in action today at Wildcat Field in Poplarville, as the take on Missouri Baptist at 3:30 and Cumberland at 7 pm on the campus of Pearl River Community College.