Hattiesburg, Miss.- # 23 William Carey University scored early and often as they opened the 2017 season with a 16-6 win over Cumberland (Tenn.) in seven innings on Thursday evening at Pete Taylor Park.
Breaking Down The Game
- Six different Crusaders recorded at least two hits
- Larson Barkurn led WCU at the plate going 3 for 4 with five RBI's
- Carey totaled 14 hits on the game including a home run by James Land and two doubles each by Tyler Odom, Cody Christian, and Tyler Graves. Odom also drove in three runs
- WCU scored in every inning and plated at least three runs in four different innings.
- Devin Smith picked up the win allowing three earned runs with four strikeouts in four innings of work.
How It Happened
- After a scoreless top half of the first inning, Carey went to work offensively in the bottom of the frame scoring four runs, capped off by Barkurn's two run single
- Carey added a run in the second and two in the third inning to open a 7-2 lead
- Land led off the bottom of the fourth with a solo homer and Barkurn struck again with a two run double to help WCU extend the lead to 10-2 lead.
- Cumberland cut the lead to 10-5 with three runs in the fifth but WCU answered in the bottom of the inning with RBI doubles by Odom and Graves to open a 13-5 advantage.
- Odom drove in two more runs with a double in the sixth inning and would eventually score on Barkurn's fifth RBI of the night for the final WCU run.
WCU is back in action tomorrow at Community Bank Park in Ellisville, as they take on Shawnee State (Ohio). First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 pm.